Tomato and Roasted Garlic Soup
Tomato and Roasted Garlic Soup combines strong tomato but gentle garlic flavours. It also works well as a pasta sauce.
Per serving: 70 Calories, 0.7g fat
Prep time 10 mins (assuming garlic roasted in advance)
Cook Time 10 mins
1 whole head of garlic
3 x 400g can plum tomatoes
6 spring onions, finely chopped
1 vegetable stock pot
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, 400°F, Gas Mark 6.
- Remove the outer skin from the garlic bulb and slice the top off. Place on a square of foil and wrap the foil around to form a parcel. Place in the oven for 45 minutes until soft. Set aside to cool.
- Pour the cans of tomatoes into a soup maker or saucepan.
- Squeeze out the garlic puree from the roasted bulb and add to the tomato mixture along with the chopped spring onions, the stock pot and the freshly ground black pepper.
- Bring to the boil then cook for 5 minutes.
- Liquidise until smooth then add the fresh basil leaves and liquidise again.
- If you wish, you can push the mixture through a sieve to remove the seeds but if you liquidise it well, you may not need to do this.
- Season with additional freshly ground black pepper to taste.